The Iowa Marriage License | A How To Guide
Getting married is a wonderful milestone in one’s life, and it all starts with obtaining a marriage license. If you’re planning to get married at the Polk County Courthouse in Des Moines, Iowa, here is everything you need to know about getting a marriage license and getting married.
Step 1: Obtain a Marriage License
The first step towards getting married in Polk County, Iowa, is to obtain a marriage license. This license is required by law and is valid for six months from the date of issuance. Here’s what you need to do to obtain a marriage license:
- Both parties must be at least 18 years old or have parental consent if under 18.
- Both parties must apply in person at the Polk County Recorder’s Office.
- Bring a valid form of identification, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Pay the marriage license fee, which is $35.00 (cash, check, or credit/debit card accepted).
Once you have submitted your application and paid the fee, you will receive your marriage license. Be sure to review the information on the license for accuracy before leaving the Recorder’s Office.
Step 2: Get Married
Once you have obtained your marriage license, you can get married at the Polk County Courthouse. Here’s what you need to know:
- Schedule an appointment with the Polk County Clerk of Court at least 24 hours in advance by calling (515) 286-3765.
- Bring your marriage license, valid identification, and two witnesses.
- Arrive at the courthouse at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- You will be directed to the appropriate courtroom for your ceremony.
During the ceremony, the judge will ask you and your partner to repeat the vows and sign the marriage license. After the ceremony, the judge will sign the license, and you will be legally married.
Step 3: Obtain a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
After your marriage ceremony, you can obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the Recorder’s Office. The fee for each certified copy is $5.00.
Getting married at the Polk County Courthouse in Des Moines, Iowa, and obtaining an Iowa marriage license is a straightforward process. By following the steps above, you can obtain a marriage license, schedule an appointment, and get married in no time. Remember to bring all necessary documentation and arrive early for your appointment to ensure a smooth process. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
I’ve been fortunate enough to photograph a large number of courthouse weddings. If you’d like information on courthouse photo coverage, please be sure to drop me a line!